Today I did a spot of baking. Whenever I do, it's usually a spur of the moment type thing. I've been wanting cake for a good week now so I thought it time to do something about my craving. I tried following a friend's recipe but in the end I took a classic recipe and made it my own.
I have to say they turned out delicious! I used peppermint creams (which you can buy in any supermarket) and as the muffins cool the peppermint adds a nice chewy texture to the cake. REALLY nice. Anyway, I thought I would share the recipe with you. Hope you like it!
(This is what they look like after about 10 minutes out of the oven. Look at that lovely melted chocolate!)
6 oz plain flour
1 1/2 oz cocoa powder
4 oz caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz/100g chocolate peppermints, crushed.
250 ml milk
120 ml oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, take your peppermints and crush them with the end of a rolling pin or something similar. Don't make it mushy, just crush it so there's no big chunks left. Add this to the flour mix.
3. Beat together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla essence in a separate bowl.
4. Make a hole in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture, then stir together until well mixed but lumpy.
5. Spoon into muffin cases and bake in pre-heated oven on 200c/400f/gas mark 6 for 20-40 mins until well risen and springy to the touch.
6. Take out, eat and enjoy!